Go To the Main Contents

KCA width the Consumer Will Create a Happy World. We ard witnessing rapid changes in the consumer enviroment thanks in part to globalization of the marketplace. and technological developmet which has enabled the CONSUMER market to expand from offline to online.

KCA News

  • HOME
  • KCA News
  • Press Release

Press Release

영문보도자료 view
More than half of the consumer disputes over clothing products occur due to business operator(s)’faults 2018-07-11

More than half of the consumer disputes over clothing products occur due to business operator(s)’faults

- Manufacturer(s)’and/or seller(s)’faults 46.6%, washermen’s faults 10.7% -

- Consumer(s)’faults 18.0%, reasons where it is difficult to determine the party liable for causing damage 24.7% -

 

    According to the Korea Consumer Agency(KCA) (President Hee-sook Lee), the Committee for Deliberation on Textile Products* received a total of 6,231 consumer disputes, from 2017 to March, 2018, over defective clothing products or damage caused to clothing products after washing.

* The Committee for Deliberation on Textile Products which consists of internal and external experts is operated within the KCA, and the Committee deliberates on consumer disputes over clothing and/or leather products and washing to determine the party liable for causing damage.

 

Manufacturer(s)’ and/or seller(s)’ faults(quality defects) 46.6%, washermen’s faults(washing faults) 10.7%

    The results of the deliberations on the 6,231 disputes revealed that 3,571 dispute cases(57.3%) occurred due to‘faults attributable to business operator(s) (manufacturer(s), seller(s), washermen, etc.),’and 2,660 cases(42.7%) arose from‘consumer(s)’faults’such as careless handling and/or maintenance, etc. and reasons where it was‘difficult to determine the party liable for causing damage.’

 

    More specifically, 2,905 cases(46.6%), the largest portion, occurred due to‘faults attributable to manufacturer(s) and/or seller(s)’such as poor quality, storage problems, etc., and for 1,541 cases(24.7%), it was difficult to determine who was liable for causing damage because the defects were so slight or durable life had expired. And 1,119 cases(18.0%) were caused by‘consumer(s)’faults’such as careless handling and/or maintenance, and 666 cases(10.7%) arose from‘washermen’s washing faults.’

 

[ Current Status Regarding the Party Liable for Causing Damage ]

Party liable for causing damage

Number(case)

Rate(%)

Business

Manufacturer/Seller

2,905

46.6

Washerman

666

10.7

Consumer

1,119

18.0

Others*

1,541

24.7

Total

6,231

100.0

 

* Those cases where it is difficult to find products defective because the defects are ‘within the permitted threshold’ or damage occurs naturally after the lapse of a product’s durable life, etc.

 

The most common quality defect was caused by ‘manufacturing fault,’ and the most frequent type of washing fault was ‘inappropriate washing.’

    The most common quality defects(2,905 cases) included ‘manufacturing defects(1,207 cases, 41.6%),’followed by‘poor durability(852 cases, 29.3%),’‘poor stainability(677 cases, 23.3%),’and‘poor resistance to laundering(62 cases, 9.3%),’etc.

    And the most frequent types of washing faults(666 cases) were‘ inappropriate washing,’followed by‘incomplete stain removal,’‘defective repair,’etc.

 

Consumer(s)’ faults mainly occurred due to ‘careless handling and/or maintenance.’

    The dispute cases occurring due to consumer’s faults(1,119 cases) were mostly caused by‘careless handling and/or maintenance(893 cases, 79.8%)’such as failure to follow washing instructions on clothing labels or getting torn or ripped while wearing clothing, and the other 226 cases(20.2%) were caused by‘external contamination’while wearing clothing.

    

    In order to prevent consumer damage to clothing products, the KCA advised consumers to carefully read and follow quality information and maintenance instructions indicated on clothing labels, to check the condition of clothing products and receive receipts when requesting laundry services, and to pick up the washed laundry as soon as possible and check whether there are any defects.

 

Go back to List